Meetings:

Action Items:

CZCP Work Plan Meeting, August 27-28, 2013:

Coastal Zone Community of Practice (CZCP) Core Group Telecon

Telecon
Monday, February 22, 2010
15:30 - 17:00 UTC

Draft Minutes (Version 0.1 of 2010- 3- 6 21:20)

Participants:


Paul DiGiacomo, NOAA (Co-Chair)
Hans-Peter Plag, NBMG, UNR (Co-Chair)
Michael Bruno, Stevens (Workshop Series Chair)
Robert Christian (Core Member)
Liana McManus (Core Member)

Agenda:

1 Assessment of the process and consequences of the Workshop Series:

  • Are we achieving what we wanted?
  • If not, what have we achieved so far?
  • Could we have organized the past workshops better?
  • Are there some concrete post workshop activities that need to be done?

2 Puerto Rico Workshop: Status and next steps

3 Cairo Workshop: Status and next steps

4 What is the structure and membership of the CZCP?

5 CZCP membership: How to handled EoIs and Membership applications?

  • How does one join? Is the 'You and the CZCP'-page sufficient? Inputs received so far are available here .
  • How do we get the most from the CZCP membership?
  • What positive feedback can occur to maintain the program and help it grow?
  • CZCP mailing list: What activities are needed? Proposal: (simple) E-mail newsletter is being sent out every three months by the co-chairs, informing on the CZCP members/interested about the status, current activities, and updated plans. The newsletter would accept input from all members.

6 Should we engage in AIP-3, and, if yes, how should we engage?
More information on AIP-3 is available at GEO-AIP-3 . Note that under the SBA Water, there is a scenario on algae bloom, which could be of interest for us.

7 What document should the CZCP produce?

  • The IGOS Coastal Zone Theme Report and the White Paper for OceanObs 09 are examples of useful documents.
  • Are there others that we should be developing? Updated Theme Report? A State of the CZ-Report?

8 How do we attract financial and other support for our efforts?

  • We need to entrain policy makers and/or relevant issues into the workshops. Can the GEO Secretariat help with this?
  • Are we "a success story of communities of practice"?
  • Should we establish a "roadmap" for the CZCP? Should this be done in a CZCP Workshop? When?

Notes:

1 Assessment of the process and consequences of the Workshop Series:

The participants accepted the draft agenda as proposed, and it was agreed that Hans-Peter Plag should chair the telecon. He asked participants to comment on the Workshop Series. Michael Bruno stated that the First Workshop in Athens was successful, but the follow-up Workshop did not work out as planned. However, the Workshop in Cairo was not off the table.

Robert Christian pointed out that the product page was a result of the Workshop but unfortunately not populated. Michael Bruno responded that initial work had been invested to set up the framework, but contributions did not come in, most likely due to a lack of funding. Paul DiGiacomo agreed that the lack of funding for specific projects was a contributing factor leading to few or no active contributions.

Robert Christian suggested that by engaging the GEO office in one country we might be able to get contributions from this country. Michael Bruno reminded that in Greece the GEO office was involved in the workshop, but after that the most active person moved on and thus the further participation stopped.

Paul DiGiacomo pointed out that the current group is more a hobby group , but some overhead would be needed, and an effort need to be made to enable this. Hans-Peter Plag agreed with the term hobby group and stated that this appears to be at the core of the problem. He continued by saying that a Workshop Series is not enough to keep the the CZCP going, and he mentioned the need for a roadmap adding other activities. Liana McManus agreed to this and wanted the roadmap to detail a series of projects.

Concerning the Workshop Series, Paul DiGiacomo emphasized that the series brought a great visibility for the CZCP and in this sense, the Series is successful. However, he considered it unclear how to build on this success in terms of requirements for space and in situ observations and how to inform those who are in a position to implement the observing systems (space agencies, etc). He requested a much stronger focus on post Workshop activities.

Robert Christian proposed a post-survey of the participants of the First Workshop and ask, whether and how the Workshop made a difference for them, and how they suggest to move forward. This survey could also lead to a re-engagement of the participants. Michael Bruno strongly supported this idea. He added that the notion of sharing data would be a no cost way of working together. With respect to the data sharing, Hans-Peter Plag pointed out that the lack of contributions to the Mediterranean Page may be due to the fact that is was not clear enough what the use of this is page would be. GEOSS was facing similar problems with limited contributions of data and services, because it takes considerable time for such a page or service to demonstrate its added value. He mentioned that for example the geodetic Services of the International Association of Geodesy (IAG) have considerable support because they make useful products available and have users. Michael Bruno agreed that there is a need for a clear goal and added value, because scientists would like to know that it makes sense to spend time on contributions, and they need to get credit for that work.

Concerning the survey, Paul DiGiacomo wanted a focus on what the greatest gaps are, and what could be done to close these gaps. Hans-Peter Plag proposed to have also the participants of the Second Workshop in Cotonou surveyed, although with a different set of questions.

Action Item CZCP-CG-4-1: Robert Christian will develop a questionaire for a post-survey of the participants in the First CZCP Regional Workshop and distribute this to the Core Group for comments. Responsible: Robert Christian, Deadline: 2010-04-30.

Action Item CZCP-CG-4-2: Robert Christian and Jimmy Adegoke will develop a questionaire for a survey of the participants in the Second CZCP Regional Workshop and distr Responsible: Robert Christian, Jimmy Adegoke, Deadline: 2010-04-30.

Going back to the purpose of the Product web page, Liana McManus asked what services the geodetic services mentioned before would provide. Hans-Peter Plag described the example of the International GNSS Service (IGS), which provides many products on hourly and daily basis, including accurate satellite orbits for the GNSS satellite. These products are made available by more than ten globally distributed analysis centers, and a lot of research is enabled and stimulated by these activities. For the CZCP, Paul DiGiacomo saw the possibility to initiate pilot projects and develop prototype, for example, related to water quality.

Hans-Peter Plag mentioned that he was pulling together an international group with the goal to develop a local sea level forecasting service on decadal time scales, which could be an activity linked to the CZCP. Liana McManus asked whether this activity would develop tools that people could use to get local forecasts. She emphasized the urgent need for more tools, but cautioned that the use of these tools would need to come with expert advice. Hans-Peter Plag explained that the group would have to develop a framework for forecasts, which could combine observation- and model-based predictions for ocean, ice sheets, glaciers, and terrestrial hydrosphere as well as local vertical land motion to compose forecasts. He emphasized the need to start forecasts asap in order to get an assessment of the forecasting capabilities. He also mentioned the need for a global map of the local sea level rise hazards. However, these activities would have to start with a few selected locations, including some of the coastal megacities.

2 Puerto Rico Workshop: Status and next steps

Paul DiGiacomo reported that he had received an e-mail from the local organizers of the Third Workshop, who asked about the next steps. He stated that we needed to clarify the focus of the workshop in order to proceed. Hans-Peter Plag summarized the discussions at the CZCP meeting on November 20, 2009. There a question was whether the Workshop should be all-Americas or be more focused on the Caribbean. He voiced his personal opinion that a workshop focused on regional issues in the Caribbean would have a good chance to be successful. He mentioned that the GEOSS in the Americas Meeting in November showed that there are many internationally sponsored activities going on that related to the CZ, and the Workshop could be focused around a few themes and be a forum for the on-going activities to meet and coordinate. Although Paul DiGiacomo saw a need for more broader coordination and linkages, he stated that he would be o.k. with a focus on the Caribbean. Michael Bruno commented that the sharper the focus of the workshop would be the better the chances for success. Hans-Peter Plag added that the workshop should be first of all a forum for all on-going activities, not a duplication of efforts.

Paul DiGiacomo pointed out that other regions have far less developed communication, and mentioned as an example the pacific region. Liana McManus added that the small island developing states are in need of expertise, but explained that IOCARRIB is the weakest among the coastal IO. Among the Caribbean island, Puerto Rico has most capabilities and thus would be a good location for the workshop. Paul DiGiacomo stated that if we can focus on identifying the gaps, we would have a different type of workshop. Hans-Peter Plag reminded that we aimed for a gap analysis prior to the First Workshop but did not get this done then, and he emphasized the need to do this before the Puerto Ricco Workshop.

Paul DiGiacomo volunteered to contact Doug Wilson to discuss the workshop along the lines developed.

Action Item CZCP-CG-4-3: Paul DiGiacomo will contact Doug Wilson and IOCARIB in order to discuss further details of the 3rd CZCP regional workshop, and he will exchange some emails to clarify the situation. Responsible: Paul DiGiacomo, Deadline: 2010-03-15.

Action Item CZCP-CG-4-4: Michael Bruno will explore his liason with Puerto Rican institutions/Caribbean projects for clarification of workshop-related questions. Responsible: Michael Bruno, Deadline: 2010-03-15.

Action Item CZCP-CG-4-5: The Core Group will carry out a gap analysis for the Caribbean to inform the workshop planning. Hans-Peter Plag will take a lead and Responsible: All, Deadline: 2010-05-30.

3 Cairo Workshop: Status and next steps

Michael Bruno pointed out that the key issue for the North Africa Workshop is funding. Hans-Peter Plag suggested that the GEO Principals of the Southern Mediterranean Countries could be engaged, maybe with the help of the GEO Secretariat. He proposed to talk to the GEO Secretariat to see whether a letter could be written to the GEO Principals, informing them about the recommendation of the Athens Workshop and asking them for help in organizing the Workshop.

Robert Christian mentioned that Carles Ibanez is organizing a Delta workshop in the Ebro Delta, Spain, and he also offered to host the next Mediterranean Workshop in the Ebro Delta. Paul DiGiacomo asked to considered whether it could be better in some cases to leverage workshops organized by others instead of having own workshops. Liana McManus urged to interact more closely with GOOS.

Action Item CZCP-CG-4-6: Hans-Peter Plag will discuss with Douglas Cripe whether a letter could be sent by the GEO Secretariat to the GEO Principals in the Southern Mediterranean Countries informing them about the Recommendation of the Athens Workshop to hold a North African Workshop with the goal to bring together decision makers and providers of Earth observations in order to discuss improved decision support. The letter would also ask for support from the countries for the organization of the workshop. Responsible: Hans-Peter Plag, Deadline: 2010-03-31.

Action Item CZCP-CG-4-7: Robert Christian will contact Carlos Ibanez and discuss with him options for CZCP sessions at the upcoming Delta Workshop or a future dedicated CZCP workshop in the Mediterranean (with focus on the Southern Mediterranean). Responsible: Robert Christian, Deadline: 2010-03-31.

4 What is the structure and membership of the CZCP?

Hans-Peter Plag pointed out that the CZCP currently had two co-chairs and a small core group. Moreover, Michael Bruno was the chair of the Workshop Series. However, it was not clear who else was to be consider a member. In the brief discussion, there was general consensus that a more elaborated structure was not needed.

5 CZCP membership: How to handled EoIs and Membership applications?

Hans-Peter Plag summarized very briefly the few e-mails that had resulted from the 'You and the CZCP'-page. Robert Christian emphasized the importance to get feedback to the people who had send in expressions of interest and/or membership applications. He was in favor of the proposal to compile a quarterly newsletter. The proposal to start a newsletter was supported by all participants.

Action Item CZCP-CG-4-8: Hans-Peter Plag will respond to all those who submitted an expression of interest/membership application. Responsible: Hans-Peter Plag, Deadline: 2010-03-15.

Action Item CZCP-CG-4-9: Hans-Peter Plag will invite contributions for the First CZCP Newsletter from the Core Group, all new members, the UIC, and the GEO Secretariat. Deadline for contributions should be 1 May 2010. Responsible: Hans-Peter Plag, Deadline: 2010-03-15.

Action Item CZCP-CG-4-10: Paul DiGiacomo and Hans-Peter Plag will edit the Newsletter and publish the first Newsletter on 1 June 2010. The newsletter will be available as a web version and as a pdf file. Responsible: Hans-Peter Plag, Paul DiGiacomo, Deadline: 2010-05-31.

In the further discussion, Liana McManus suggested to focus the CZCP on a few themes. Hans-Peter Plag voiced the opinion that the CZCP should stay broad and open for all themes related to the CZ. This was supported by Robert Christian, who also emphasized that the CZCP is still in a growth phase and needs to be open for all interested groups and topics.

6 Should we engage in AIP-3, and, if yes, how should we engage?

Hans-Peter Plag explained that the AIP-3 Call for Participation is out. More information on AIP-3 is available at GEO-AIP-3 . AIP-3 will be working around "scenarios" under. Under the SBA Water, there is a scenario on algae bloom, which could be of interest for the CZCP. Liana McManus pointed out that there are on-going activities related to harmful algae blooms. Paul DiGiacomo emphasized the need to talk to others involved in these activities instead of starting something new. Hans-Peter Plag explained that he was not thinking of new activities but rather a link between the CZCP and the relevant AIP-3 scenarios.

7 What document should the CZCP produce?

It was reiterated that the IGOS Coastal Zone Theme Report and the White Paper for OceanObs 09 were examples of useful documents produced by the community, and there was agreement that such documents were important for the CZCP and its impact on Earth observations and their uses. There was considerable discussion about what documents should be considered in the future. Robert Christian proposed that the CZCP should develop a roadmap detailing the activities to be carried out by the CZCP. Hans-Peter Plag suggested that an assessment of the state of the coastal zone could be a valuable long-term core for the CZCP activities, which would require to bring in many other experts. He mentioned the GGOS 2020 book, which had contributions from more than 40 experts, took almost three years to prepare, and is considered as very valuable for the geodetic community. Others mentioned the Millennium Assessment Report for Biodiversity as a possible example. Liana McManus stated that 232 countries have coastal zones, and each of them would have their own story. Thus, a report with so many stories could be an option. She also wanted such a report initially to be web-based, with the option in a later stage to produce a book as a snapshot of the web-based, living document at a point in time.

There was consensus that the CZCP needs to spend more time on developing these ideas into one or more specific projects.

8 How do we attract financial and other support for our efforts?

Robert Christian made clear that funding for some of the CZCP activities is very important to keep the group going. Hans-Peter Plag emphasized that a roadmap would be a valuable starting point for the development of proposals and projects that eventually might help to attract funding. The development of tools would also be very important. In particular, tools related to sea level rise mentioned earlier could be very attractive. He proposed that the CZCP organizes a workshop to develop the roadmap defining the scope of the CZCP and the activities to focus on. Such a workshop would be different in scope and participation from the regional workshops. Liana McManus support this idea of a CZCP workshop to develop the roadmap. Paul DiGiacomo also agreed that it would be good to get a consensus how to move forward. Liana McManus asked about the composition of the participants, and emphasized that the CZ is rich in texture and issues to be considered. Paul DiGiacomo added that the regional workshops would benefit from the roadmap as a context.

Robert Christian considered it valuable to clear up for the CZCP where we are going; and what the CZCP would decide with respect to activities, assessments, reports to produce, funding to solicit would depend on the roadmap. Paul DiGiacomo stated that a roadmap could be rather different in scope, it could be international for the CZ in general, or it could be more internal for the CZCP. He added that it is important for the CZCP to be careful as to "where and how we pick our spots."

Hans-Peter Plag mentioned the example of the Geohazards Community of Practice (GHCP), which developed a draft roadmap during a three day workshop held in January 2010 in Paris. He reported that the initial draft was very different from what the draft looked like after the workshop, and he emphasized the need to discuss the roadmap in a workshop, independent of whether it is more international for the broader community or internal for the CZCP.

Paul DiGiacomo wanted to the CZCP to consider having both roadmaps and maybe start with a more internal one. Hans-Peter Plag suggested to call the internal document more a CZCP Work Plan and reserve the term roadmap for the broader document.

Action Item CZCP-CG-4-12: Paul DiGiacomo and Hans-Peter Plag will identify dates and venue for a CZCP Workshop focusing on the development of a CZCP Work Plan. This workshop should preferably take place in May or June 2010. Responsible: Paul DiGiacomo, Hans-Peter Plag, Deadline: 2010-04-15.

Paul DiGiacomo identified the need to have more regular telecons. There was consensus that monthly calls were needed, preferably on a fixed day of the month.

Action Item CZCP-CG-4-13: Hans-Peter Plag will inquire with all CZCP core members the most appropriate day in the week to hold regular monthly CZCP telecons. Telecons will be organized on the day fitting most members in the first week of each month, starting with the first week in April. Responsible: Hans-Peter Plag, Deadline: 2010-03-15.

Summary of Action Items

Action Item CZCP-CG-4-1: Robert Christian will develop a questionaire for a post-survey of the participants in the First CZCP Regional Workshop and distribute this to the Core Group for comments. Responsible: Robert Christian, Deadline: 2010-04-30.

Action Item CZCP-CG-4-2: Robert Christian and Jimmy Adegoke will develop a questionaire for a survey of the participants in the Second CZCP Regional Workshop and distr Responsible: Robert Christian, Jimmy Adegoke, Deadline: 2010-04-30.

Action Item CZCP-CG-4-3: Paul DiGiacomo will contact Doug Wilson and IOCARIB in order to discuss further details of the 3rd CZCP regional workshop, and he will exchange some emails to clarify the situation. Responsible: Paul DiGiacomo, Deadline: 2010-03-15.

Action Item CZCP-CG-4-4: Michael Bruno will explore his liason with Puerto Rican institutions/Caribbean projects for clarification of workshop-related questions. Responsible: Michael Bruno, Deadline: 2010-03-15.

Action Item CZCP-CG-4-5: The Core Group will carry out a gap analysis for the Caribbean to inform the workshop planning. Hans-Peter Plag will take a lead and Responsible: All, Deadline: 2010-05-30.

Action Item CZCP-CG-4-6: Hans-Peter Plag will discuss with Douglas Cripe whether a letter could be sent by the GEO Secretariat to the GEO Principals in the Southern Mediterranean Countries informing them about the Recommendation of the Athens Workshop to hold a North African Workshop with the goal to bring together decision makers and providers of Earth observations in order to discuss improved decision support. The letter would also ask for support from the countries for the organization of the workshop. Responsible: Hans-Peter Plag, Deadline: 2010-03-31.

Action Item CZCP-CG-4-7: Robert Christian will contact Carlos Ibanez and discuss with him options for CZCP sessions at the upcoming Delta Workshop or a future dedicated CZCP workshop in the Mediterranean (with focus on the Southern Mediterranean). Responsible: Robert Christian, Deadline: 2010-03-31.

Action Item CZCP-CG-4-8: Hans-Peter Plag will respond to all those who submitted an expression of interest/membership application. Responsible: Hans-Peter Plag, Deadline: 2010-03-15.

Action Item CZCP-CG-4-9: Hans-Peter Plag will invite contributions for the First CZCP Newsletter from the Core Group, all new members, the UIC, and the GEO Secretariat. Deadline for contributions should be 1 May 2010. Responsible: Hans-Peter Plag, Deadline: 2010-03-15.

Action Item CZCP-CG-4-10: Paul DiGiacomo and Hans-Peter Plag will edit the Newsletter and publish the first Newsletter on 1 June 2010. The newsletter will be available as a web version and as a pdf file. Responsible: Hans-Peter Plag, Paul DiGiacomo, Deadline: 2010-05-31.

Action Item CZCP-CG-4-11: Paul DiGiacomo will look into the AIP-3 CfP and, if appropriate will establish a link between the relevant scenario(s) and the CZCP. Responsible: Paul DiGiacomo, Deadline: 2010-03-15.

Action Item CZCP-CG-4-12: Paul DiGiacomo and Hans-Peter Plag will identify dates and venue for a CZCP Workshop focusing on the development of a CZCP Work Plan. This workshop should preferably take place in May or June 2010. Responsible: Paul DiGiacomo, Hans-Peter Plag, Deadline: 2010-04-15.

Action Item CZCP-CG-4-13: Hans-Peter Plag will inquire with all CZCP core members the most appropriate day in the week to hold regular monthly CZCP telecons. Telecons will be organized on the day fitting most members in the first week of each month, starting with the first week in April. Responsible: Hans-Peter Plag, Deadline: 2010-03-15.


Minutes prepared by Hans-Peter Plag


In case of problems or comments concerning the CZCP Web Pages, mail to the web page administrator