Meetings:

Action Items:

CZCP Work Plan Meeting, August 27-28, 2013:

Steering Committee 3rd Workshop, Puerto Rico Telcon

Telecon
Wednesday, April 6, 2011
14:00 - 15:30 UTC

Minutes (Version 0.1 of 2011- 4-20 6:57)

Participants:


Doug Wilson, NOAA (Correspondent)
Michael Bruno, Stevens (Workshop Series Chair)
Hans-Peter Plag, NBMG, UNR (Co-Chair)
Roy A. Watlington, CaRA/CARICOOS
Jorge Corredor, UPR (Member)
Paul DiGiacomo, NOAA (Co-Chair)

Agenda:

1 Acceptance of Agenda

2 Status of Action Items
A list of the action items is available as php .

3 How to continue regional activities in the Caribbean?

4 Next steps concerning the CZCP

5 Any Other Business

6 Date and Time of next telecon(s)

7 Summary of Action Items

Notes:

1 Acceptance of Agenda

The agenda was accepted as proposed.

2 Status of Action Items

A list of the action items was made available as php .

Concerning the Action Items

Action Item CZCP-PR-17-1: Douglas Cripe will propose to the GEO Secretariat that UNWTO is asked to submit prior to GEO-VII a request to become a Particiating Organization of GEO prior to GEO-VIII. Responsible: Douglas Cripe, Deadline: 2011-04-30,

and

Action Item CZCP-PR-17-2: Douglas Cripe will contact the GEO Principals in the Caribbean and discuss with them ways to initiate an intergovernmental dialog along the lines laid out in the Workshop recommendation. Responsible: Douglas Cripe, Deadline: 2011-05-31,

it was agreed that Hans-Peter Plag would contact Douglas Cripe to find out whether these AIs are being followed up.

With respect to

Action Item CZCP-PR-17-3: Roy A. Watlington will contact Brad Nugent and discuss how participation of regional tourist organizations in the development of a dialogue platform can be ensured. Responsible: Roy A. Watlington, Deadline: 2011-04-30,

and

Action Item CZCP-PR-17-8: Roy A. Watlington will discuss with Elizabeth Riley how a workshop report can be distributed in CDEMA and its stakeholders. Responsible: Roy A. Watlington, Deadline: 2011-04-30,

Hans-Peter Plag will contact Roy A. Watlington to discuss how these AIs are followed up.

Hans-Peter Plag reported that he would send an invitation to contribute to the Workshop report to all participants and thus follow up

Action Item CZCP-PR-17-6: Hans-Peter Plag will invite all participants of the workshop to submit contributions to the workshop report. He will compile a web-based report for iteration with the participants. Responsible: Hans-Peter Plag, Deadline: 2011-04-15.

Michael Bruno reported that in following up

Action Item CZCP-PR-17-7: Michael Bruno will investigate which tourism-related journal in Puerto Rico could be used to publish a workshop report in. Responsible: Hans-Peter Plag, Deadline: 2011-04-30,

he had been in contact with relevant organizations, but he had not be able to speak to the right person. He left a message but so far no one had contacted him.

Concerning

Action Item CZCP-PR-17-9: Jorge Corredor will investigate how a workshop report can be published in the IOCARIBBE media. Responsible: Jorge Corredor, Deadline: 2011-04-30,

Jorge Corredor explained that such a report would be integrated in a web page. He would contact the organization right after the telecon.

3 How to continue regional activities in the Caribbean?

Paul DiGiacomo suggested that the recommendations could be used to develop a plan of action. Hans-Peter Plag commented that at PR-17, a number of action items related to the implementation of the recommendations had been decided. It was pointed out be several that starting to make available some products would be attractive to users and could bring in additional people.

Douglas Cripe suggested that bathymetric data could be a first such product. Michael Bruno asked why bathymetric data should have a priority, and Douglas Cripe explained that these data were important for assessing tsunami risks. Hans-Peter Plag added that access to bathymetric data was often restricted for security reasons, and GEO might be a good forum to address this issue. Paul DiGiacomo proposed that the CZCP should work with NOAA to investigate whether bathymetric data for the Caribbean could be made available. Michael Bruno proposed to focus on a pilot project for post-disaster information. Hans-Peter Plag mentioned that in the Geohazards Community of Practice (GHCP), a proposal had been made for a GEO Clearinghouse for major disasters, and the CZCP could join the discussion of this proposal. He suggested to bring Elizabeth Riley into this discourse about a clearinghouse. Towards the end of the discussion, Michael Bruno emphasized the need to start an activity, and Hans-Peter Plag reiterated that a pilot could focus on bathymetry.

Action Item CZCP-PR-18-1: Paul DiGiacomo will investigate who in NOAA is working on bathymetry for the Caribbean and provide the information to Hans-Peter Plag so that he can work with the contact person and develop a pilot project. Responsible: Paul DiGiacomo, Deadline: 2011-04-30.

Action Item CZCP-PR-18-2: Hans-Peter Plag will propose to ST-09-02 to consider bathymetry data sets as candidates for data that should be registered in the GEOSS Registries. Responsible: Hans-Peter Plag, Deadline: 2011-04-30.

Michael Bruno mentioned that a pilot project on bathymetry could be of interest for a student at Stevens.

Douglas Cripe voiced his opinion that a telecon with all Workshop participants could help to keep the momentum going. Paul DiGiacomo supported this suggestion and hoped that local groups could be engaged in a regional cooperation, where providers would be able to contribute many different things.

Hans-Peter Plag proposed to organize this telecon ones a more complete version of the Workshop report would be available.

Action Item CZCP-PR-18-3: Hans-Peter Plag will organize a telecon for all Workshop participants to discuss the workshop report and to follow up post-workshop activities. Responsible: Hans-Peter Plag, Deadline: 2011-05-15.

4 Next steps concerning the CZCP

Hans-Peter Plag asked whether the CZCP should be involved in the developing Ocean Community of Practice (OCOP), and Paul DiGiacomo responded that this involvement was necessary. For that, it would be important to better define who we are and where we want to go. It would also be important not to loose identity. He commented on the fact that no funds for the CZCP work were available and all was based on voluntary contribution. In order to change this, it would be necessary to find an activity associated with some level of funding.

Hans-Peter Plag suggested that the CZCP Core Group should aim to get a funded project. Paul DiGiacomo considered the coastal information system a candidate for such a project. It would be necessary to develop a set of indicators around which the system could be built. There was a lot of activities around indicators that could be utilize. Hans-Peter Plag agreed that an information system including information on indicators would be very important and could be a project that would strengthen the CZCP considerably. Paul DiGiacomo suggested the focus initially to be on the Mediterranean, Africa, the Caribbean, and the U.S. Hans-Peter Plag added that he had initially only the Caribbean in mind - although the infrastructure should be built as a global system, while more local and regional groups would have to be involved in populating the information system.

Michael Bruno emphasized the necessity to keep moving, and he considered the information system a good way to go. Paul DiGiacomo suggested to get Jimmy Adegoke involved for Africa. Hans-Peter Plag reiterated that the system could provide a basis for an assessment of the state of the coastal zone for the next Ministerial Summit.

Paul DiGiacomo suggested to focus initially on a few indicators in three or four regions. Hans-Peter Plag saw value in getting more information on the web page CZCP web page in general and the regional web pages in particular. For that Paul DiGiacomo proposed to put together a presentation and make it available on the web page.

Hans-Peter Plag suggested to propose a CZCP-organized session at the 2012 Ocean Sciences meeting in Salt Lake City and informed that the deadline for session proposals was may 16, 2011.

5 Any Other Business

There was no other business.

6 Date and Time of next telecon(s)

There was agreement to have a broader follow-on telecon once the workshop report had developed further.

7 Summary of Action Items

Action Item CZCP-PR-18-1: Paul DiGiacomo will investigate who in NOAA is working on bathymetry for the Caribbean and provide the information to Hans-Peter Plag so that he can work with the contact person and develop a pilot project. Responsible: Paul DiGiacomo, Deadline: 2011-04-30.

Action Item CZCP-PR-18-2: Hans-Peter Plag will propose to ST-09-02 to consider bathymetry data sets as candidates for data that should be registered in the GEOSS Registries. Responsible: Hans-Peter Plag, Deadline: 2011-04-30.

Action Item CZCP-PR-18-3: Hans-Peter Plag will organize a telecon for all Workshop participants to discuss the workshop report and to follow up post-workshop activities. Responsible: Hans-Peter Plag, Deadline: 2011-05-15.


Minutes prepared by Hans-Peter Plag


In case of problems or comments concerning the CZCP Web Pages, mail to the web page administrator