Meetings:

Action Items:

CZCP Work Plan Meeting, August 27-28, 2013:

Steering Committee 3rd Workshop, Puerto Rico Telcon

Telecon
Monday, September 20, 2010
15:00 - 16:00 UTC

Minutes (Version 0.1 of 2010- 9-22 20:28)

Participants:


Paul DiGiacomo, NOAA (Co-Chair)
Hans-Peter Plag, NBMG, UNR (Co-Chair)
Julio Morell, UPR (Member)
Jorge Corredor, UPR (Member)
Doug Wilson, NOAA (Correspondent)
Douglas Cripe, GEO Secretariat (Core Member)

Agenda:

1 Agenda and Action Items of the last telecon
A list of Action Items is available here .

2 Report from Local Organizing Committee.

3 Scope, objectives, and anticipated output
Doug Wilson distributed a draft description of these items, see doc .

4 Workshop announcement

5 Status of pre-studies

6 Invitations of end users, sponsors, and other contacts to be established

7 Workshop budget and funding

8 Any Other Business

9 Summary fo Action Items

Notes:

1 Agenda and Action Items of the last telecon

A list of Action Items was made available as html . The following additional comments were provided.

Concerning

Action Item CZCP-PR-1-6: With support from all SC members, Hans-Peter Plag will set up the web announcement at the czcp.org web page. Responsible: Hans-Peter Plag, Deadline: 2010-07-15,

Hans-Peter Plag emphazised the need to get the web announcement progressed asap to have a reference to point to. Doug Wilson commented that a number of issues need to be clarified before that can be achieved. Julio Morell reported that negotiations with the hotel are close to final and informat

In following up

Action Item CZCP-PR-2-2: All SC members will look into options for travel funds in support of Workshop participants. Responsible: ALL, Deadline: 2010-10-01,

Doug Wilson made an effort to co-locate the IOCARIB/GOSS Steering Committee meeting with the CZCP workshop. This would bring a number of people to the workshop. Paul DiGiacomo reported that during the GEOSS Workshop on Ocean Observing, September 19, 2010 in Seattle, Jay Pearlman voiced interest of IEEE to co-sponsor the CZCP workshop. This might lead to some funding for participants. Hans-Peter Plag asked whether this would mean that the workshop would be announced as one of the many IEEE Workshops on GEOSS topics, or remain a CZCP workshop, and he remarked that having IEEE on board would most likely bring in significant support for the organization of the workshop. This resulted into:

Action Item CZCP-PR-3-1: Paul DiGiacomo and Doug Wilson will clarify in which way and under what conditions IEEE could co-sponsor the Puerto Ricco workshop. Responsible: Paul DiGiacomo, Deadline: 2010-10-01.

Douglas Cripe mentioned that for the Cotonou workshop, the GEO Secretariat was willing to sponsor two or three participants, but these funds were not requested. He added that the GEO Secretariat might be able to support two or three participants for the Puerto Rico workshop.

Also related to

Action Item CZCP-PR-2-5: If a registration fee is necessary, then Julio Morell, Jorge Corredor, and Doug Wilson will investigate whether a NGO can take the responsibility for handling the registrations and collecting the registration fee. Responsible: Julio Morell, Jorge Corredor, Doug Wilson, Deadline: 2010-10-01,

Hans-Peter Plag emphasized the importance of setting up a budget for the workshop. This led to considerable discussion about budget details. The available funds could partly be spent to cover room charges for selected participants, and/or coffee breaks etc. After some discussion, the following AI was agreed:

Action Item CZCP-PR-3-2: Paul DiGiacomo, Doug Wilson, Julio Morell will clarify the workshop budget and determine whether or not a registration fee needs to be charged. Responsible: Paul DiGiacomo, Doug Wilson, Julio Morell, Deadline: 2010-09-27.

Doug Wilson and Paul DiGiacomo reported that they had not had much discussions concerning

Action Item CZCP-PR-2-3: Doug Wilson and Paul DiGiacomo will look into possibilities to find additional funding for the workshop organization. Responsible: Doug Wilson, Paul DiGiacomo, Deadline: 2010-10-01.

They stated that there is little chance that additional funding from NOAA could be made available if the workshop will take place in Spring 2011. Doug Wilson expressed the hope that other organizations might be willing to provide some funding.

Concerning

Action Item CZCP-PR-2-9: All SC members will send potential distribution channels (e-mail lists, web pages with meeting announcments) to Hans-Peter Plag, who will compile a list of all these channels. Responsible: All, Deadline: 2010-09-01,

Hans-Peter Plag reported that he had not received any input. Douglas Cripe pointed out that an e-mail could be sent by the Director of the GEO Secretariat, and Hans-Peter Plag confirmed that this channel definitely is on the list for distribution of the workshop announcement.

2 Report from Local Organizing Committee.

Julio Morell and Jorge Corredor commented that the potential co-location of the workshop with the IOCARIB/GOOS Steering Committee meeting would be very much appreciated. Concerning the link to the Venue for the workshop web page, they stated that this would be provided as soon as the contract with the hotel was finalized.

Action Item CZCP-PR-3-3: Jorge Corredor and Julio Morell will provide the link to the workshop venue to Hans-Peter Plag for inclusion on the Workshop web page. Responsible: Jorge Corredor, Julio Morell, Deadline: 2010-09-27.

Concerning the available funds, Jorge Corredor and Julio Morell requested that the flexibility of these funds should be clarified. They also made clear that it would be easier for them to pay the room charges for a number of participants than to reimburse travel costs.

Action Item CZCP-PR-3-4: Doug Wilson will clarify how flexible the funds are that were made available to Jorge Corredor and Julio Morell, in particular, whether room charges of participants can be paid out of these funds. Responsible: Doug Wilson, Deadline: 2010-09-27.

3 Scope, objectives, and anticipated output

The draft description of scope and anticipated output distributed by Doug Wilson, see doc , was discussed. Doug Wilson and Paul DiGiacomo had briefly talked about the draft and thought that the workshop should be more focused than what the draft outlined. Hans-Peter Plag voice the opinion that the draft scope was already rather focused and further narrowing would limit the end users too much in bringing up issues of concern for them. Both Doug Wilson and Paul DiGiacomo emphasized the need to have some clear ideas of what the contributions from the provider side could be in order to be able to identify specific actions during the workshop. Hans-Peter Plag added that this was the goal of the pre-studies, and requested that the workshop program would take into account that the full scope needs to be implemented through a few keynotes. At the end, there was agreement that the current scope description is a good starting point if the workshop program is developed to cover the scope in some keynotes. Hans-Peter Plag commented that the list of anticipated outputs was very long and should be narrowed down to two or three key outputs.

There was agreement that more discussion is needed, in particular, for the workshop program and the anticipated output. Considering the fact that the Workshop announcement needs to be in a presentable shape asap, the following AIs were agreed:

Action Item CZCP-PR-3-5: Hans-Peter Plag will coordinate an e-mail discussion and finalization of the Workshop scope, objectives, and outputs as well as of the workshop program. Responsible: Hans-Peter Plag, Deadline: 2010-10-01.

Action Item CZCP-PR-3-6: All Steering Committee members will contribute to the e-mail discussion and finalization of the Workshop scope, objectives, and outputs as well as of the workshop program. Responsible: All, Deadline: 2010-10-01.

4 Workshop announcement

The workshop announcement had already been discussed. It was repeated that a key step towards the announcement was the finalization of scope and objectives. It was proposed to involve Roy Watlington, St. Thomas, rwatlington@caricoos.org in the pre-study concerning the provider capabilities.

5 Status of pre-studies

The pre-studies had already been discussed. It was emphasized that these studies need to be started asap.

6 Invitations of end users, sponsors, and other contacts to be established

There was agreement that the invitation can only be addressed after the scope and objectives have been developed fully.

7 Workshop budget and funding

This topic was already covered and an action item agreed.

8 Any Other Business

There was no other business.

9 Summary fo Action Items

It was agreed that the next telecon would take place after October 13, 2010. Hans-Peter Plag was asked to set up a doodle poll to determin

Action Item CZCP-PR-3-1: Paul DiGiacomo and Doug Wilson will clarify in which way and under what conditions IEEE could co-sponsor the Puerto Ricco workshop. Responsible: Paul DiGiacomo, Deadline: 2010-10-01.

Action Item CZCP-PR-3-2: Paul DiGiacomo, Doug Wilson, Julio Morell will clarify the workshop budget and determine whether or not a registration fee needs to be charged. Responsible: Paul DiGiacomo, Doug Wilson, Julio Morell, Deadline: 2010-09-27.

Action Item CZCP-PR-3-3: Jorge Corredor and Julio Morell will provide the link to the workshop venue to Hans-Peter Plag for inclusion on the Workshop web page. Responsible: Jorge Corredor, Julio Morell, Deadline: 2010-09-27.

Action Item CZCP-PR-3-4: Doug Wilson will clarify how flexible the funds are that were made available to Jorge Corredor and Julio Morell, in particular, whether room charges of participants can be paid out of these funds. Responsible: Doug Wilson, Deadline: 2010-09-27.

Action Item CZCP-PR-3-5: Hans-Peter Plag will coordinate an e-mail discussion and finalization of the Workshop scope, objectives, and outputs as well as of the workshop program. Responsible: Hans-Peter Plag, Deadline: 2010-10-01.

Action Item CZCP-PR-3-6: All Steering Committee members will contribute to the e-mail discussion and finalization of the Workshop scope, objectives, and outputs as well as of the workshop program. Responsible: All, Deadline: 2010-10-01.

Action Item CZCP-PR-3-7: Hans-Peter Plag will set up a doodle poll for the next telecon considering the interval between October 14 - 24, 2010. Responsible: Hans-Peter Plag, Deadline: 2010-09-23.


Minutes prepared by Hans-Peter Plag


In case of problems or comments concerning the CZCP Web Pages, mail to the web page administrator