Meetings:

Action Items:

CZCP Work Plan Meeting, August 27-28, 2013:

Steering Committee 3rd Workshop, Puerto Rico Telcon

Telecon
Friday, December 10, 2010
14:30 - 16:00 UTC

Minutes (Version 0.2 of 2010-12-10 8:48)

Participants:


Hans-Peter Plag, NBMG, UNR (Co-Chair)
Douglas Cripe, GEO Secretariat (Core Member)
Doug Wilson, NOAA (Correspondent)
Julio Morell, UPR (Member)
Jorge Corredor, UPR (Member)
Paul DiGiacomo, NOAA (Co-Chair)
David Green, NOAA (Lead for Ecological Forecasting, Energy and Coastal Hazards)

Agenda:

1 Agenda and Action Items of the last telecon
A list of Action Items is available here .

2 Status of Local Organization.

3 Workshop Program and Session Chairs
A draft workshop program is available at http://www.czcp.org/workshops/Puerto_Rico and there the link 'Draft Program.' The list of potential speakers and session chairs has been distributed by e-mail.

4 Status of Invitations and other urgent issues

5 Any Other Business

6 Date and time for PR-9
It was agreed that no telecon is needed on December 17, 2010. Should PR-9 be scheduled for January 7, 2011 or January 14, 201

7 Summary of Action Items

Notes:

1 Agenda and Action Items of the last telecon

A list of Action Items was made available as here .

Hans-Peter Plag commented that the audio quality of the telecon was very poor, and that he may not have captured all names of the participants. The list of participants therefore may be incomplete.

Hans-Peter Plag pointed out that concerning

Action Item CZCP-PR-7-1: Paul DiGiacomo, Doug Wilson, Roy A. Watlington will get together on Monday, December 6, 2010 and finalize the list of candidates for plenary speakers and session conveners and send this list to the Steering Committee for e-mail discussion not later than Tuesday, December 7, 2010. This will enable to send out invitations before December 10, 2010. Responsible: Paul DiGiacomo, Doug Wilson, Roy A. Watlington, Deadline: 2010-12-07,

the list of agreed-upon speakers was not finalized. Paul DiGiacomo asked where the main gaps were. Hans-Peter Plag mentioned the intergovernmental organizations, the regional tourist organizations, and the bias toward speakers from outside the Caribbean as the key gaps. Paul DiGiacomo responded that for most keynotes and for most breakout sessions at least one person was listed. Both Doug Wilson and Paul DiGiacomo agreed that the list was a good starting point and that invitations should be sent out to those on the list. It was asked which tourist organizations were on the list. Hans-Peter Plag explained that there were two types of organizations, the governmental and the private ones, and Roy A. Watlington had compiled a list that was covering most of the private organizations but fewer of the governmental ones. He added that many of the intergovernmental programs were not on the list, and named as example the Regional Activity Centers under the CEP. He also expressed the impression that the prioritization of the proposed names was not discussed in the group and did not think that there was a broad agreement. However, Paul DiGiacomo emphasized the importance of getting the announcement out to those already on the list.

Doug Wilson pointed out that some changes in the program might be necessary to accommodate, for example, the insurances. Hans-Peter Plag commented that the program was a draft that would have to evolve depending on the response that would come after speakers and session chairs had been invited. Both the proposed topics of the presentations and the number and topics of the breakout session would have to evolve with the input from the speakers and session chairs.

Hans-Peter Plag asked who should send the invitations? Doug Wilson and Paul DiGiacomo proposed either the GEO SEC or the SC co-chairs should do this.

Hans-Peter Plag reported that following up

Action Item CZCP-PR-7-2: Christa von Hillebrandt-Andrade will contact the Secretariat of ACODESE and investigate the interest of them to participate in the workshop. Responsible: Christa von Hillebrandt-Andrade, Deadline: 2010-12-07,

Christa von Hillebrandt-Andrade had been in contact with the insurances, but he was not informed about their response. He also mentioned that Roy A. Watlington was following up

Action Item CZCP-PR-7-3: Roy A. Watlington will contact CDEMA and investigate the interest of them to participate in the workshop. Responsible: Roy A. Watlington, Deadline: 2010-12-07,

but he did not know the status. He had not received input as requested in

Action Item CZCP-PR-7-4: Roy A. Watlington will look at the document under the link 'Sustainable Tourism in SIDS' available on the workshop web page and provide input to Hans-Peter Plag. Responsible: Roy A. Watlington, Deadline: 2010-12-09,

and he urged everybody to contribute to this pre-study.

Concerning

Action Item CZCP-PR-5-2: Vanessa Gutierrez will follow up with the Sheraton the establishing of the web page for hotel reservation and provide the link to this page to Hans-Peter Plag for inclusion on the workshop web page. Responsible: Vanessa Gutierrez, Deadline: 2010-11-28,

Jorge Corredor informed that Vanessa Gutierrez was sick but would follow this up asap.

2 Status of Local Organization.

There were no further comments concerning the local organization.

3 Workshop Program and Session Chairs

There were no further comments on the program

4 Status of Invitations and other urgent issues

It was suggested that the GEO Sec would send the invitations to the speakers and session conveners. Douglas Cripe asked whether this would be general invitations. Hans-Peter Plag explained that these invitations would have to be personalized and would often require a dialog with the speakers/conveners. Douglas Cripe made clear that the GEO Sec could not take this task. Therefore, Hans-Peter Plag suggested that these invitations should be sent by the SC Co-Chairs, so that there could be a dialog where needed. After some discussion, this led to:

Action Item CZCP-PR-8-1: Doug Wilson and Paul DiGiacomo will send invitations to the proposed speakers and breakout session conveners. Responsible: Doug Wilson, Paul DiGiacomo, Deadline: 2010-12-15.

Paul DiGiacomo asked whether the workshop announcement could be sent to the list of IOCARIB. Hans-Peter Plag reminded that there had been an Action Item to coordinate the sending out of workshop announcements so that not too many duplications would occur. But almost no input had been provide to a master list. Paul DiGiacomo mentioned the list Peter Colohan had provided, which had a few names. Paul DiGiacomo and Doug Wilson proposed that each SC member should send out workshop announcements to whatever relevant e-mail list they know of. Doug Wilson requested that people should copy the announcements they send to the SC Co-Chairs.

Action Item CZCP-PR-8-2: All will send out workshop announcements to e-mail lists they consider relevant, and will send copies of these announcements to the SC Co-Chairs. Responsible: All, Deadline: 2010-12-20.

It was agreed to have the workshop announcement sent out to the GEO-All mailing list.

Action Item CZCP-PR-8-3: Douglas Cripe will send a workshop announcement to the GEO-ALL e-mail list. Responsible: Douglas Cripe, Deadline: 2010-12-15.

5 Any Other Business

There was no other business.

6 Date and time for PR-9

Hans-Peter Plag informed that he would have very limited availability for the next three weeks. Paul DiGiacomo and Doug Wilson proposed as potential dates for the next telecon Wednesday, December 15, 2010 or Friday, December 17, 2010. Douglas Cripe said that he would not be available to participate on Wednesday due to the AGU, but would be able to set up the telecon whenever needed. It was agreed that Doug Wilson and Paul DiGiacomo would organize the next telcon.

Action Item CZCP-PR-8-4: Doug Wilson and Paul DiGiacomo will decide on the date and time for the next telecon and work with Douglas Cripe to get it set up. They will inform the group about date and time. Responsible: Doug Wilson, Paul DiGiacomo, Douglas Cripe, Deadline: 2010-12-08.

7 Summary of Action Items

Action Item CZCP-PR-8-1: Doug Wilson and Paul DiGiacomo will send invitations to the proposed speakers and breakout session conveners. Responsible: Doug Wilson, Paul DiGiacomo, Deadline: 2010-12-15.

Action Item CZCP-PR-8-2: All will send out workshop announcements to e-mail lists they consider relevant, and will send copies of these announcements to the SC Co-Chairs. Responsible: All, Deadline: 2010-12-20.

Action Item CZCP-PR-8-3: Douglas Cripe will send a workshop announcement to the GEO-ALL e-mail list. Responsible: Douglas Cripe, Deadline: 2010-12-15.

Action Item CZCP-PR-8-4: Doug Wilson and Paul DiGiacomo will decide on the date and time for the next telecon and work with Douglas Cripe to get it set up. They will inform the group about date and time. Responsible: Doug Wilson, Paul DiGiacomo, Douglas Cripe, Deadline: 2010-12-08.


Minutes prepared by Hans-Peter Plag


In case of problems or comments concerning the CZCP Web Pages, mail to the web page administrator