Meetings:

Action Items:

CZCP Work Plan Meeting, August 27-28, 2013:

CZCP Telecon

Telecon
Wednesday, May 25, 2011
19:00 - 20:30 UTC

Minutes (Version 0.1 of 2011- 5-25 22:16)

Participants:


Paul DiGiacomo, NOAA (Co-Chair)
Robert Christian (Core Member)
Hans-Peter Plag, NBMG, UNR (Co-Chair)
Doug Wilson, NOAA (Core Member)

Agenda:

1 Acceptance of Agenda and Status of Action Items
A list of the action items is available as php .

2 Brief report from the GEO Work Plan Meeting

3 Toward an open, wikipedia-like coastal information system
A draft description of the information system will be made available before the telecon.

4 Any Other Business

5 Date and Time of next telecon(s)

6 Summary of Action Items

Notes:

1 Acceptance of Agenda and Status of Action Items

A list of the action items was made available as php .

Concerning

Action Item CZCP-CG-7-1: Paul DiGiacomo and Michael Bruno will contact Lorna Inniss, Elizabeth Riley, Roy Wattlington, Deirtre Shurland, Brad Nugent, and Jennifer Nugent-Hill and solicit specific input for the Workshop report. Responsible: Paul DiGiacomo, Michael Bruno, Deadline: 2011-05-25,

Paul DiGiacomo reported that he would follow this up in the next week.

Following up

Action Item CZCP-CG-7-4: Paul DiGiacomo will contact Jay Pearlman to get more information on the progress concerning the Ocean CoP. Responsible: Paul DiGiacomo, Deadline: 2011-05-20,

Paul DiGiacomo had contacted Jay Pearlman and received a copy of the ToR for the CoP OceanObs. Paul DiGiacomo is the representative of the CZCP in the new CoP, and Hans-Peter Plag participates as an observer. Jay Pearlman is preparing a Research Coordination Network (RCN) proposal to NSF, in which Hans-Peter Plag is goin got be a Co-Investigator and Paul DiGiacomo a member of the Steering Committee.

With respect to

Action Item CZCP-PR-18-1: Paul DiGiacomo will investigate who in NOAA is working on bathymetry for the Caribbean and provide the information to Hans-Peter Plag so that he can work with the contact person and develop a pilot project. Responsible: Paul DiGiacomo, Deadline: 2011-04-30,

Doug Wilson reported that bathymetry had been addressed at a recent IOCARIB meeting. Doug Wilson committed to get the name of the person(s) involved. He also mentioned that there was a IOC Caribbean bathymetry project. Some political issues would hinder progress. He asked why bathymetry was of importance for the CZCP. Hans-Peter Plag pointed out that the issues associated with bathymetry made it a good test case for the GEO data sharing principle. Setting up a pilot project that wiuld result into a web page with information on available bathymetry data would keep some of the momentum of the workshop going. Referring to

Action Item CZCP-PR-18-2: Hans-Peter Plag will propose to ST-09-02 to consider bathymetry data sets as candidates for data that should be registered in the GEOSS Registries. Responsible: Hans-Peter Plag, Deadline: 2011-04-30,

he explained that on a global level, bathymetry would be a very good test case for GEO principles and GEO added value. Doug Wilson suggested that the key stakeholders including IOC, IOCARIB, and NOAA should be brought together to discuss how bathymetry in the Caribbean could be addressed. Hans-Peter Plag stated that such a group would be exactly what is needed to start the pilot project.

Hans-Peter Plag reported that he was not able to complete a draft description of the CZ Information System (CZIS) as requested in

Action Item CZCP-PR-17-4: Hans-Peter Plag will draft a description of the coastal information system and distribute this to the CZCP core group for further discussion. Responsible: Hans-Peter Plag, Deadline: 2011-04-30.

He explained that a more relaxed work situation would allow him to complete the draft in the next two, max. three weeks.

Concerning

Action Item CZCP-PR-17-11: Hans-Peter Plag will contact Robert Christian and discuss with him options for promotion material for the CZCP top be distributed at the Delta Conference in Spain. Responsible: Hans-Peter Plag, Deadline: 2011-04-30,

both Robert Christian and Hans-Peter Plag were not informed whether promotion material had been sent from the GEO Secretariat to the address in Spain. Hans-Peter Plag committed to ask Douglas Cripe. He also committed to send the poster to Robert Christian by Monday, May 30, 2011.

Hans-Peter Plag emphasized the need to follow up

Action Item CZCP-PR-17-12: Paul DiGiacomo and Hans-Peter Plag will prepare a news mail to the CZCP community and send this out to the CZCP mailing list. Responsible: Paul DiGiacomo, Hans-Peter Plag, Deadline: 2011-05-15.

Paul DiGiacomo asked whether the CZCP web page has the facilities for people to submit contributions to a newsletter or whether such submission could only be done by e-mail. Hans-Peter Plag explained that currently, submission was only possible by e-mail, but that he might have a chance to add soon the ability to submit on-line.

2 Brief report from the GEO Work Plan Meeting

Hans-Peter Plag reported briefly on the GEO Work Plan Symposium held May 4-6, 2011 in Geneva. Participation in the meeting was smaller than in the 2010 symposium in Pretoria, with many Task leads not being present. The meeting reviewed the V0.0 of the 2012-2015 Work Plan. Focus was on two main areas, i.e., the proposed new management structure and the proposed tasks. The proposed new management structure would eliminate the four committees, establish management boards for tasks or task groups, and would limit membership on these management boards to those how have committed to lead deliverables. These modifications would turn an open, inclusive management structure of the GEO work into a rather exclusive structure, which would strongly limit participation of developing countries and smaller Participating Organizations in the management. There was considerable resistance against the proposed new structure, and a number of alternatives were proposed. However, it is not clear what consensus will emerge in the end.

The proposed tasks were discussed in detailed and many modifications were suggested. A new structure for the task description was agreed upon, and during many post-symposium discussions, the tasks were further developed. The Version 1.0 of the work plan very likely will be rather different from V0.0. Deadline for comments on V0.0 is May 26, 2011. It is expected that a V1.0 will be available in the near future.

Paul DiGiacomo raised the issue that GEO is not providing funding. Hans-Peter Plag commented that GEO is not a funding agency and it should not try to be. The example of the CfP issued by GEO shows that GEO does not have the right authorities and links to funding agencies to engage in such activities. The CfP has the potential of significant damage to GEO since more than 70 teams took the time to write long proposals with not return for them whatsoever. He also mentioned that at the GEO/EGIDA workshop in Bonn, May 9-11, 2011, (see http://www.geo-tasks.org/workshops/2011_Bonn ) a session on funding brought together high-level representatives of major global groups of funding agencies, and the discussions could be as starting point for a high-level dialog between GEO and these groups with the goal to develop a process for GEO to communicate science and technology needs to these funding agencies, so that they can include them in their programs.

The CZCP should review V1.0 closely and decide where the CZCP could take responsibility or participate.

Action Item CZCP-CG-8-1: Hans-Peter Plag will distribute the V1.0 of the CZCP to the Core Group when it becomes available and coordinate the review of and commenting on the Version. Responsible: Hans-Peter Plag, Deadline: 2011-06-30.

3 Toward an open, wikipedia-like coastal information system

No draft description of the information system had been made available before the telecon. Hans-Peter Plag stated that he would like to see a system that could adapt to a wide range of conditions from highly developed areas with a lot of observations and information, to developing areas with a lack of in situ observations and limited information. Paul DiGiacomo asked whether ideas concerning indicators were already developing and what degree of granularity should be considered. Hans-Peter Plag expressed the opinion that different indicators should be included from simple indicators requiring rather limited information to highly complex ones requiring a larger set of parameters. These indicators would have different information contents, and some would be possible to compute more or less globally while other only would be available in some areas. For him, having global maps showing the indicators or sets of indicators for coastal areas would be a very valuable result of the CZIS. Paul DiGiacomo mentioned a conference on indicators that took place last year in Portugal, and Hans-Peter Plag asked to get more information on that.

Paul DiGiacomo asked about the plan for the CZIS. Hans-Peter Plag emphasized that the first step would be to draft a brief document describing the objectives, design, and functionality of the CZIS and discussing options for the population of the system. Once this document would be accepted by the Core Group, then it could be used to contact representatives of funding agencies to discuss options for getting the development of the CZIS funded. Paul DiGiacomo asked whether there were already ideas for funding, and Hans-Peter Plag responded that he had explained the basic idea to relevant GEO representatives from Canada, the U.S., and the European Commission. Reaction were generally very positive. The proposed system was considered as very timely and needed. Reactions on the inclusion of a crowd-sourcing component were particularly positive. Further steps would be to get feedback from the broader CZCP and then to submit proposals for funding. Hans-Peter Plag emphasized the need to secure funding with a reasonable time perspective on the order of three years to ensure that the system could be fully developed.

At the end of the discussion, it was emphasized that the first draft should be available in three weeks and a meeting/telecon of the Core Group should be held shortly after to discuss the draft in detail.

4 Any Other Business

Paul DiGiacomo asked whether activities should be started to increase the CZCP membership. Hans-Peter Plag commented that according to the experience of the last three years, such specific activities would not be very successful. The workshops to bring in users had shown that it was important to meet the users on their grounds and to have something to offer. Likewise, membership would increase if the CZCP would have to offer something to the members. Hans-Peter Plag expressed the strong believe that a functioning CZIS would bring in users and new members of the CZCP. However, developing the CZIS would require a solid funding basis.

Paul DiGiacomo suggested to contact Peter Colohan to discuss options for the funding. He volunteered to talk to him.

Action Item CZCP-CG-8-2: Paul DiGiacomo will contact Peter Colohan and discuss options for funding the development of the CZIS with him. Responsible: Paul DiGiacomo, Deadline: 2011-06-30.

There was consensus that the CZCP for the time being should focus on the development of the CZIS. Building a prototype and having it used for the Caribbean, a region in Africa (West Africa?) and a part of the East Coast of the U.S. would stimulate a much more active CZCP. For the East Coast of the U.S., a Sea Grant might have the resources to use and populate the system. Paul DiGiacomo expressed the hope that Michael Bruno and others from Stevens would be able to contribute.

Paul DiGiacomo suggested that the Core group should consider to organize a small side meeting of the CZCP at a bigger meeting where many of the CZCP members would be present. Both Hans-Peter Plag and Paul DiGiacomo will search for an appropriate meeting.

Action Item CZCP-CG-8-3: Paul DiGiacomo and Hans-Peter Plag will search for a larger meeting in 2011 or 2012 that has the potential to bring together a number of CZCP members and propose a side meeting of the CZCP at such a meeting. Responsible: Paul DiGiacomo, Hans-Peter Plag, Deadline: 2011-06-30.

Robert Christian pointed out that there was an increasing number of web sites with information relevant to the coastal zone. He stated that it would be good if the CZCP web page could be developed into a portal with information and links to other valuable web pages. Hans-Peter Plag said that there were already two pages for (Products and Regions) that could be used for this. It would be good to have brief paragraphs concisely describing a web resource and providing a link. However, he would need support from CZCP members to collect the links. Robert Christian volunteered to work with Hans-Peter Plag on developing this further.

Action Item CZCP-CG-8-4: Robert Christian and Hans-Peter Plag will work together to extend the information on relevant web resources available on the CZCP web page. Responsible: Robert Christian, Hans-Peter Plag, Deadline: 2011-06-30.

Paul DiGiacomo asked how progress could be made with respect to the Arctic workshop. Hans-Peter Plag referred to

Action Item CZCP-CG-7-8: Hans-Peter Plag will send out invitations to the list discussed at CG-7 to be a member of the Steering Committee for the 2012 CZCP Workshop. Responsible: Hans-Peter Plag, Deadline: 2011-05-31.

. He stated that he will follow up this AI in the following week. Once the Steering Committee is established, it would be important to organize a telecon with the goal to agree on the theme, objectives, venue, and dates. It should be possible to reach there by the end of July 2011. After that, a program could be developed.

5 Date and Time of next telecon(s)

Paul DiGiacomo suggested that the next telecon would be scheduled according to the availability of the white paper on the CZIS. Hans-Peter Plag confirmed his commitment to have this paper available within three weeks. Giving one week for a review by the Core Group, if was agreed to hold the next telecon in about four weeks.

Action Item CZCP-CG-8-5: Hans-Peter Plag will set up a doodle poll to find a date and time for the CZCP telecon around end of June 2011. Responsible: Hans-Peter Plag, Deadline: 2011-05-31.

6 Summary of Action Items

Action Item CZCP-CG-8-1: Hans-Peter Plag will distribute the V1.0 of the CZCP to the Core Group when it becomes available and coordinate the review of and commenting on the Version. Responsible: Hans-Peter Plag, Deadline: 2011-06-30.

Action Item CZCP-CG-8-2: Paul DiGiacomo will contact Peter Colohan and discuss options for funding the development of the CZIS with him. Responsible: Paul DiGiacomo, Deadline: 2011-06-30.

Action Item CZCP-CG-8-3: Paul DiGiacomo and Hans-Peter Plag will search for a larger meeting in 2011 or 2012 that has the potential to bring together a number of CZCP members and propose a side meeting of the CZCP at such a meeting. Responsible: Paul DiGiacomo, Hans-Peter Plag, Deadline: 2011-06-30.

Action Item CZCP-CG-8-4: Robert Christian and Hans-Peter Plag will work together to extend the information on relevant web resources available on the CZCP web page. Responsible: Robert Christian, Hans-Peter Plag, Deadline: 2011-06-30.

Action Item CZCP-CG-8-5: Hans-Peter Plag will set up a doodle poll to find a date and time for the CZCP telecon around end of June 2011. Responsible: Hans-Peter Plag, Deadline: 2011-05-31.


Minutes prepared by Hans-Peter Plag


In case of problems or comments concerning the CZCP Web Pages, mail to the web page administrator