Meetings:

Action Items:

CZCP Work Plan Meeting, August 27-28, 2013:

Steering Committee 3rd Workshop, Puerto Rico Telcon

Telecon
Friday, January 14, 2011
14:30 - 16:00 UTC

Minutes (Version 0.1 of 2011- 1-18 21:35)

Participants:


Hans-Peter Plag, NBMG, UNR (Co-Chair)
Douglas Cripe, GEO Secretariat (Core Member)
Paul DiGiacomo, NOAA (Co-Chair)
Roy A. Watlington, CaRA/CARICOOS
Doug Wilson, NOAA (Correspondent)
Vanessa Gutierrez, UPR

Agenda:

1 Agenda and Action Items of the last telecon
A list of Action Items is available here .

2 Status of Local Organization.

3 Status of Invitations and other urgent issues

4 Workshop Program and Session Chairs
A draft workshop program is available at http://www.czcp.org/workshops/Puerto_Rico and there the link 'Draft Program.' The list of potential speakers and session chairs has been distributed by e-mail.

5 Funding of participants

6 Any Other Business

7 Date and time for PR-10

8 Summary of Action Items

1 Agenda and Action Items of the last telecon
A list of Action Items is available here .

2 Status of Local Organization.

3 Status of Invitations and other urgent issues

4 Workshop Program and Session Chairs
A draft workshop program is available at http://www.czcp.org/workshops/Puerto_Rico and there the link 'Draft Program.' The list of potential speakers and session chairs has been distributed by e-mail.

5 Funding of participants

6 Any Other Business

7 Date and time for PR-10

8 Summary of Action Items

Notes:

1 Agenda and Action Items of the last telecon

A list of Action Items was made available here .

In following up

Action Item CZCP-PR-8-1: Doug Wilson and Paul DiGiacomo will send invitations to the proposed speakers and breakout session conveners. Responsible: Doug Wilson, Paul DiGiacomo, Deadline: 2010-12-15,

Paul DiGiacomo and Doug Wilson sent out a number of reminders and additional invitations.

Concerning

Action Item CZCP-PR-7-2: Christa von Hillebrandt-Andrade will contact the Secretariat of ACODESE and investigate the interest of them to participate in the workshop. Responsible: Christa von Hillebrandt-Andrade, Deadline: 2010-12-07,

it was agreed that Hans-Peter Plag would contact Christa von Hillebrandt-Andrade and inquire the status.

Related to

Action Item CZCP-PR-7-3: Roy A. Watlington will contact CDEMA and investigate the interest of them to participate in the workshop. Responsible: Roy A. Watlington, Deadline: 2010-12-07,

Roy A. Watlington reported that he called CDEMA, and learned that the director is out of office until 17th Janu 2011. The director knows of our interest, but Roy A. Watlington had not heard from from. Paul DiGiacomo asked to get a IOCARIBE mailing list, which resulted in

Action Item CZCP-PR-9-1: Doug Wilson will send the IOCARIBE mailing list to Paul DiGiacomo. Responsible: Doug Wilson, Deadline: 2011-01-17.

Related to

Action Item CZCP-PR-4-3: Julio Morell will follow up contacts to the Governor's office in order to find out to what extent the office may want to participate in the workshop. Responsible: Julio Morell, Deadline: 2010-11-19,

Michael Bruno reported that he facilitated some contacts to three relevant people, to whom he recently sent information on the workshop.

With respect to it was proposed that Julio Morell could pull together a report on the gaps and operational issues. Michael Bruno supported this idea and pointed out that Julio Morell should be asked to do this.

Action Item CZCP-PR-9-2: Doug Wilson will send a mail to Julio Morell and ask him to prepare a report on gaps and operational issues in the coastal observing system in the Caribbean. Responsible: Doug Wilson, Deadline: 2011-01-18.

Concerning

Action Item CZCP-PR-2-8: Hans-Peter Plag will take the lead in organizing a pre-study to identify issues, needs, and opportunities relevant to the theme of the workshop on the end user side. Responsible: Hans-Peter Plag, Deadline: 2010-10-01,

Hans-Peter Plag reminded that he was waiting for input from Roy A. Watlington, who could bring in the local point of view. Hans-Peter Plag emphasized that he would like to see this input first before the document is distributed to others for additional comments and input. Roy A. Watlington confirmed that he would provide input in the next few days.

2 Status of Local Organization.

Hans-Peter Plag pointed out that the web page for hotel room reservation does not allow to have a departure date later than Friday, March 11, 2011. Vanessa Gutierrez, who joined the telecon a little later informed the participants that the hotel had made arrangemen for check-out dates on Saturday and Sunday, but that the web page had not been updated. Persons who would like to stay after Frida have to make a reservation on the web page with check-out date of Friday, and then inform Vanessa Gutierrez about their desired check-out dat Vanessa Gutierrez will then make the necessary arrangements with the hotel.

Before Vanessa Gutierrez joined the telecon, there was some discussion about the details of the contract. Vanessa Gutierrez explained later that the con included 10 rooms covered by the available funds. For these rooms, Vanessa Gutierrez needs a list of persons, e-mails, and phone numbers. The persons do not need to reserve a room.

Michael Bruno inquired the room rate, and Vanessa Gutierrez confirmed that the rate was USD 179.00 per night.

Action Item CZCP-PR-9-3: Hans-Peter Plag will add the names of persons who asked for travel support into the master list. Responsible: Hans-Peter Plag, Deadline: 2011-01-19.

It was agreed that decisions on funding should be made during the next telecon.

3 Status of Invitations and other urgent issues

Paul DiGiacomo summarized the situation by stating that some additional invitations need to be sent out. Roy A. Watlington emphasized the need to get an invitation to the Minister of Tourism, St. Kitts and some other Ministers. There was some discussion on how formal these invitations should be, but in the end it was agreed that getting the invitations out asap was more important that having the best level.

Roy A. Watlington asked about the status concerning invitations to CTO, COTAL, and CAST, and Hans-Peter Plag explained that the invitation to CAST had reached the recipient, but that invitations to CTO and COTAL were not delivered due to overfull mailboxes.

Doug Wilson proposed that Michael Bruno would contact these organizations and asked for the contact information to be sent to Michael Bruno for further contacts.

Douglas Cripe reported that he is working on getting the formal invitations to CAST, CTO, and COTAL sent out by the GEO Sec. The Director of the GEO Sec had not been ready to send out the invitations drafted by the Program Committee and had started to prepare own invitations. Douglas Cripe committed to investigating the situation.

Concerning insurances, it was repeated that Christa von Hillebrandt-Andrade was working on invitations to them.

4 Workshop Program and Session Chairs

A draft workshop program is available at http://www.czcp.org/workshops/Puerto_Rico and there the link 'Draft Program.'

Hans-Peter Plag asked about a candidate for the summary presentation in plenary session P3, and suggestions were Lenard Nurse and Michael Bruno. However, no action was agreed to follow this up.

Concerning the presentations in Sessions P5 and P6, Hans-Peter Plag suggested that a small group should compiled to discuss these sessions and develop the program on the go. Paul DiGiacomo and Doug Wilson emphasized the need to get local people involved in these sessions.

5 Funding of participants

It was agreed to add all names of those who requested funding in the master list.

Paul DiGiacomo emphasized that people from the region should have top priority.

It was not clear how the funding from the various sources (GOOS, GEO Sec.) would be handled mechanistically. Paul DiGiacomo was asked to contact GOOS to discuss the details.

6 Any Other Business

Paul DiGiacomo summarized the contacts that needed to be made, which is as follows:

Action Item CZCP-PR-9-4: Doug Wilson will contact Sophia Rolle. Roy A. Watlington will contact Jeremy Collymore and CDEMA. Paul DiGiacomo will contact GOOS. Julio Morell and Jorge Corredor will contact Ernesto Diaz. Douglas Cripe will facilitate an invitation to the minster of Tourism in St. Kitts. Hans-Peter Plag will contact Christa von Hillebrandt-Andrade. Paul DiGiacomo and Doug Wilson will send out further invitations. Responsible: Doug Wilson, Roy A. Watlington, Paul DiGiacomo, Julio Morell, Jorge Corredor, Douglas Cripe, Hans-Peter Plag, Deadline: 2011-01-19.

7 Date and time for PR-10

Paul DiGiacomo proposed to have two telecons per week. It was agreed to have the next telecon on January 19, 2011, at 19:00 UTC.

8 Summary of Action Items

Action Item CZCP-PR-9-1: Doug Wilson will send the IOCARIBE mailing list to Paul DiGiacomo. Responsible: Doug Wilson, Deadline: 2011-01-17.

Action Item CZCP-PR-9-2: Doug Wilson will send a mail to Julio Morell and ask him to prepare a report on gaps and operational issues in the coastal observing system in the Caribbean. Responsible: Doug Wilson, Deadline: 2011-01-18.

Action Item CZCP-PR-9-3: Hans-Peter Plag will add the names of persons who asked for travel support into the master list. Responsible: Hans-Peter Plag, Deadline: 2011-01-19.

Action Item CZCP-PR-9-4: Doug Wilson will contact Sophia Rolle. Roy A. Watlington will contact Jeremy Collymore and CDEMA. Paul DiGiacomo will contact GOOS. Julio Morell and Jorge Corredor will contact Ernesto Diaz. Douglas Cripe will facilitate an invitation to the minster of Tourism in St. Kitts. Hans-Peter Plag will contact Christa von Hillebrandt-Andrade. Paul DiGiacomo and Doug Wilson will send out further invitations. Responsible: Doug Wilson, Roy A. Watlington, Paul DiGiacomo, Julio Morell, Jorge Corredor, Douglas Cripe, Hans-Peter Plag, Deadline: 2011-01-19.

1 Agenda and Action Items of the last telecon

A list of Action Items was made available here .

In following up

Action Item CZCP-PR-8-1: Doug Wilson and Paul DiGiacomo will send invitations to the proposed speakers and breakout session conveners. Responsible: Doug Wilson, Paul DiGiacomo, Deadline: 2010-12-15,

Paul DiGiacomo and Doug Wilson sent out a number of reminders and additional invitations.

Concerning

Action Item CZCP-PR-7-2: Christa von Hillebrandt-Andrade will contact the Secretariat of ACODESE and investigate the interest of them to participate in the workshop. Responsible: Christa von Hillebrandt-Andrade, Deadline: 2010-12-07,

it was agreed that Hans-Peter Plag would contact Christa von Hillebrandt-Andrade and inquire the status.

Related to

Action Item CZCP-PR-7-3: Roy A. Watlington will contact CDEMA and investigate the interest of them to participate in the workshop. Responsible: Roy A. Watlington, Deadline: 2010-12-07,

Roy A. Watlington reported that he called CDEMA, and learned that the director is out of office until 17th Janu 2011. The director knows of our interest, but Roy A. Watlington had not heard from from. Paul DiGiacomo asked to get a IOCARIBE mailing list, which resulted in

Action Item CZCP-PR-9-1: Doug Wilson will send the IOCARIBE mailing list to Paul DiGiacomo. Responsible: Doug Wilson, Deadline: 2011-01-17.

Related to

Action Item CZCP-PR-4-3: Julio Morell will follow up contacts to the Governor's office in order to find out to what extent the office may want to participate in the workshop. Responsible: Julio Morell, Deadline: 2010-11-19,

Michael Bruno reported that he facilitated some contacts to three relevant people, to whom he recently sent information on the workshop.

With respect to it was proposed that Julio Morell could pull together a report on the gaps and operational issues. Michael Bruno supported this idea and pointed out that Julio Morell should be asked to do this.

Action Item CZCP-PR-9-2: Doug Wilson will send a mail to Julio Morell and ask him to prepare a report on gaps and operational issues in the coastal observing system in the Caribbean. Responsible: Doug Wilson, Deadline: 2011-01-18.

Concerning

Action Item CZCP-PR-2-8: Hans-Peter Plag will take the lead in organizing a pre-study to identify issues, needs, and opportunities relevant to the theme of the workshop on the end user side. Responsible: Hans-Peter Plag, Deadline: 2010-10-01,

Hans-Peter Plag reminded that he was waiting for input from Roy A. Watlington, who could bring in the local point of view. Hans-Peter Plag emphasized that he would like to see this input first before the document is distributed to others for additional comments and input. Roy A. Watlington confirmed that he would provide input in the next few days.

2 Status of Local Organization.

Hans-Peter Plag pointed out that the web page for hotel room reservation does not allow to have a departure date later than Friday, March 11, 2011. Vanessa Gutierrez, who joined the telecon a little later informed the participants that the hotel had made arrangemen for check-out dates on Saturday and Sunday, but that the web page had not been updated. Persons who would like to stay after Frida have to make a reservation on the web page with check-out date of Friday, and then inform Vanessa Gutierrez about their desired check-out dat Vanessa Gutierrez will then make the necessary arrangements with the hotel.

Before Vanessa Gutierrez joined the telecon, there was some discussion about the details of the contract. Vanessa Gutierrez explained later that the con included 10 rooms covered by the available funds. For these rooms, Vanessa Gutierrez needs a list of persons, e-mails, and phone numbers. The persons do not need to reserve a room.

Michael Bruno inquired the room rate, and Vanessa Gutierrez confirmed that the rate was USD 179.00 per night.

Action Item CZCP-PR-9-3: Hans-Peter Plag will add the names of persons who asked for travel support into the master list. Responsible: Hans-Peter Plag, Deadline: 2011-01-19.

It was agreed that decisions on funding should be made during the next telecon.

3 Status of Invitations and other urgent issues

Paul DiGiacomo summarized the situation by stating that some additional invitations need to be sent out. Roy A. Watlington emphasized the need to get an invitation to the Minister of Tourism, St. Kitts and some other Ministers. There was some discussion on how formal these invitations should be, but in the end it was agreed that getting the invitations out asap was more important that having the best level.

Roy A. Watlington asked about the status concerning invitations to CTO, COTAL, and CAST, and Hans-Peter Plag explained that the invitation to CAST had reached the recipient, but that invitations to CTO and COTAL were not delivered due to overfull mailboxes.

Doug Wilson proposed that Michael Bruno would contact these organizations and asked for the contact information to be sent to Michael Bruno for further contacts.

Douglas Cripe reported that he is working on getting the formal invitations to CAST, CTO, and COTAL sent out by the GEO Sec. The Director of the GEO Sec had not been ready to send out the invitations drafted by the Program Committee and had started to prepare own invitations. Douglas Cripe committed to investigating the situation.

Concerning insurances, it was repeated that Christa von Hillebrandt-Andrade was working on invitations to them.

4 Workshop Program and Session Chairs

A draft workshop program is available at http://www.czcp.org/workshops/Puerto_Rico and there the link 'Draft Program.'

Hans-Peter Plag asked about a candidate for the summary presentation in plenary session P3, and suggestions were Lenard Nurse and Michael Bruno. However, no action was agreed to follow this up.

Concerning the presentations in Sessions P5 and P6, Hans-Peter Plag suggested that a small group should compiled to discuss these sessions and develop the program on the go. Paul DiGiacomo and Doug Wilson emphasized the need to get local people involved in these sessions.

5 Funding of participants

It was agreed to add all names of those who requested funding in the master list.

Paul DiGiacomo emphasized that people from the region should have top priority.

It was not clear how the funding from the various sources (GOOS, GEO Sec.) would be handled mechanistically. Paul DiGiacomo was asked to contact GOOS to discuss the details.

6 Any Other Business

Paul DiGiacomo summarized the contacts that needed to be made, which is as follows:

Action Item CZCP-PR-9-4: Doug Wilson will contact Sophia Rolle. Roy A. Watlington will contact Jeremy Collymore and CDEMA. Paul DiGiacomo will contact GOOS. Julio Morell and Jorge Corredor will contact Ernesto Diaz. Douglas Cripe will facilitate an invitation to the minster of Tourism in St. Kitts. Hans-Peter Plag will contact Christa von Hillebrandt-Andrade. Paul DiGiacomo and Doug Wilson will send out further invitations. Responsible: Doug Wilson, Roy A. Watlington, Paul DiGiacomo, Julio Morell, Jorge Corredor, Douglas Cripe, Hans-Peter Plag, Deadline: 2011-01-19.

7 Date and time for PR-10

Paul DiGiacomo proposed to have two telecons per week. It was agreed to have the next telecon on January 19, 2011, at 19:00 UTC.

8 Summary of Action Items

Action Item CZCP-PR-9-1: Doug Wilson will send the IOCARIBE mailing list to Paul DiGiacomo. Responsible: Doug Wilson, Deadline: 2011-01-17.

Action Item CZCP-PR-9-2: Doug Wilson will send a mail to Julio Morell and ask him to prepare a report on gaps and operational issues in the coastal observing system in the Caribbean. Responsible: Doug Wilson, Deadline: 2011-01-18.

Action Item CZCP-PR-9-3: Hans-Peter Plag will add the names of persons who asked for travel support into the master list. Responsible: Hans-Peter Plag, Deadline: 2011-01-19.

Action Item CZCP-PR-9-4: Doug Wilson will contact Sophia Rolle. Roy A. Watlington will contact Jeremy Collymore and CDEMA. Paul DiGiacomo will contact GOOS. Julio Morell and Jorge Corredor will contact Ernesto Diaz. Douglas Cripe will facilitate an invitation to the minster of Tourism in St. Kitts. Hans-Peter Plag will contact Christa von Hillebrandt-Andrade. Paul DiGiacomo and Doug Wilson will send out further invitations. Responsible: Doug Wilson, Roy A. Watlington, Paul DiGiacomo, Julio Morell, Jorge Corredor, Douglas Cripe, Hans-Peter Plag, Deadline: 2011-01-19.


Minutes prepared by Hans-Peter Plag


In case of problems or comments concerning the CZCP Web Pages, mail to the web page administrator