GEOSS Support for Decision-Making in the Coastal Zone: Managing and
Mitigating the Impacts of Human Activities and Natural Hazards in the
A series of (regional) GEO Workshops organized by the GEO Coastal Zone Community of Practice
Outcome: Potential activities and products resulting from the Workshops include:
- Initiation of the COastal Data Assimilation System pilot project (CODAS) and corresponding Integrated Coastal Decision Support System (ICoDSS) are two products.
- Promotion of a better usage of the database of monitoring sites and networks for the Global Terrestrial Observing System (GTOS), i.e. the Terrestrial Ecosystem Monitoring Sites (TEMS) for coastal observing systems through registration of programs and sites.
- Promotion of formal partnerships and linkages among the various programs represented at the Workshops.
- Promote development of land-sea data assimilation schemes, building towards an integrated CODAS proto-type with operational nowcasting & forecasting (short & long term) capabilities to support users.
- Support development of standardized user interface tools (e.g, GIS) and integrated decision support systems for coastal management (e.g., ICoDSS) that can be used for short-term decisions as well as long-term planning